Elvis-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about The King . . . Elvis Presley!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elvis tops bill at Wintersun Festival

Go down 
AuthorMessage
charmainejensenvoisine

charmainejensenvoisine

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Elvis tops bill at Wintersun Festival Empty
PostSubject: Elvis tops bill at Wintersun Festival   Elvis tops bill at Wintersun Festival Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 6:02 am

Elvis tops bill at Wintersun Festival Eta_ta11

June 7, 2008
Maria Lewis

It wasn't a case of Elvis leaving the building, rather Elvis filling the building.
Hardcore Elvis fans sporting the image of The King tattooed on their arms, backs and wrists lined the stage of the auditorium at Twin Towns as 23 impersonators performed hits such as Hound Dog, In the Ghetto and Love Me Tender.
The entertainers had travelled from around Australia and overseas to compete in the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist contest as part of the Wintersun Festival on the Gold Coast, finishing up this weekend.
But none had travelled as far as Tatsuro Nagata who flew in from Japan on Wednesday and said it was his life ambition to perform in the contest.
"I want to win and I think I have a good chance," he said.
"I've wanted to join this competition for a long time. I've loved Elvis since I was a 10-year-old.
"I can sing every song he sang and I've seen every movie he was in. I'm a big fan."
Mr Nagata competed in what he calls his 'lucky suit' which he spent eight hours making by hand and in which he won the 2007 Japan Elvis contest.
He wasn't the only overseas competitor with several Elvises flying in from New Zealand to have their shot at the crown.
Last year's winner Mark Anthony was also back to defend his title.
But much of the spotlight this year is shining on the youngest Elvis performer, 19-year-old Sean Spiteri, of Melbourne, who said what he lacked in years he made up for in pure enthusiasm.
"To anyone who loves Elvis it doesn't matter how old you are and as long as you're continuing his legacy that's all that matters," he said.
"His music lives on in every generation. Just look at me: I'm 19 and I've been impersonating him since I was three years old."
With the winner of the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist contest getting the opportunity to compete at the finals in Graceland this August, Mr Spiteri said he's keeping his sights set firmly on his goal.
"Ultimately my goal is to reach Graceland and touch those gates at the place where Elvis lived," he said.
"If that doesn't happen then at least I've met a lot of different people and I've got to see their perspective on The King."
Despite last weekend's bad weather there's more than enough Wintersun Festival action to keep locals happy with a huge bill planned for the rest of the weekend.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5sdoka
Back to top Go down
http://tributesradio.com

Elvis tops bill at Wintersun Festival
Page 1 of 1